In this article we are going to let you know all the things to do in Maspalomas, one of the most important tourist destinations for sun and beach, as well as golf, in the Canary Islands. In Maspalomas you will find one of the best beaches on the island, Maspalomas beach. This, along with its dunes, is one of the most famous places to visit in Gran Canaria. Below, we give you all the information you may need to discover Maspalomas like a local.
Below is a list of the contents you will find in this article:
Things to do in Maspalomas beach
First of all, you should know that it is located in the south of Gran Canaria, within the municipality of San Bartolomé de Tirajana. On the other hand, if you are going to visit Maspalomas, there are at least four places that you should not miss: the lighthouse, the beach, the dunes and the Charca or Oasis. Next, we will make a review of these places to see near Maspalomas. Don’t miss the end of the article, as we recommend places to eat, hotels and a video from our YouTube channel.
✔ Maspalomas sand dunes
The set of dunes was named a Special Nature Reserve, that is, it is a protected area by the Government of the Canary Islands. It has approximately 400 hectares of surface, being one of the most spectacular natural spaces in the Canary Islands.
How to get to Maspalomas sand dunes?
As it is a protected space, we would like you to first of all respect the prohibited access areas and leave everything as it was after your visit. Also, keep in mind that the sand can burn a lot as you get further into the “desert.” Having said this, we give you three options to visit the dunes:
- RIU Palace Maspalomas Hotel: the most comfortable and quickest option is to walk through the RIU Palace Maspalomas hotel. At the end there is a viewpoint (initial photo of the post) and a tourist office. From here you can access the sand by stairs, although the shore is quite far.
- Walk through the sand: whether it is from Playa del Inglés to the lighthouse or vice versa, there will come a time when you will only see mountains of sand and sea.
- Camel ride: one of the things to do in the south of Gran Canaria is the camel ride through the Dunes of Maspalomas.
If you are looking for things to do in Maspalomas for families, this is one of the best activities. You can check all the details and opinions from other travelers here.
✔ Maspalomas Lighthouse
The lighthouse is located at the end of Meloneras promenade and at the beginning of Maspalomas beach (or at the end, it depends on how you look it). Its construction was led by the Canarian engineer Juan León y Castillo. The lighthouse is working since 1890 until today, being considered an emblematic icon from Gran Canaria island. In addition, it is one of the most popular ones from the Canary Islands. You can visit the interior of the Lighthouse and have good views from the top of its base.
The first stage of the Way of St. James of Gran Canaria starts from the lighthouse. A route that goes from here and reaches Tunte village.
✔ La Charca or Oasis of Maspalomas
As the Dunes, the Charca or Oasis of Maspalomas is also a Special Nature Reserve. Some years ago the Charca was connected with the sea and sometimes it also happens when there is bad weather conditions. This protected area has different species of flora and fauna. We are talking about birds, reptiles, fishes, crustaceans, insects, etc…. However, nowadays its environment has been modified because of the tourism, which has caused the disappearance of some species.
✔ Maspalomas beach
Where is Maspalomas beach? Yes, this question is asked by many people. The beach begins next to the lighthouse and reaches the tip of Maspalomas where it joins Playa del Inglés beach. Both beaches add about 6 kilometers. You should know that the beach is really the same, but right at the tip it changes its name. We recommend a walk that runs through both beaches. If you are not used to walking on the sand, the soles of your feet may hurt, so bring money in case the return trip is hard and you prefer to take a taxi. On the other hand, if you wanted you could walk along this spectacular Canarian coast to San Agustín beach.
If for some reason it is impossible for you to do the route on foot through the sand, you should know that you also have the option of going along the Costa Canaria promenade that also joins part of the two beaches.
Services and main characteristics
- Beach bars. Both in Maspalomas and in El Inglés there are several beach bars along the promenade. Do not expect a great gastronomic offer, it is limited to drinks, sandwiches and crisps. You should know that beach bar 7 is for a gay public. If you are looking for a more familiar atmosphere you will always find it next to the Lighthouse.
- Nudist area. If you start walking from Maspalomas Lighthouse, about 20 minutes walk later you will find the nudist area. There is a sign which marks the beginning ant the end, but it takes until the beach bar number 3 in Playa del Inglés.
- Sun bed and umbrella rental. In some different parts of Maspalomas beach you can rent sun beds and umbrellas. It is true that the quality is not the best ant we would love that they renovate them soon.
- Toilets and lockers. Very close to the Charca where the restaurant area ends, there are some public toilets and lockers. If you would like to walk with al the stuff, you have the option of leaving them at one locker. Remember to put on sunscreen before leaving it!
- Surf in Maspalomas beach. If you like surfing, just where both beaches are joined there are some waves where some locals usually surf. Also, next to the lighthouse there are usually nice waves and locals surfing.
- Sunset in Maspalomas beach. From Maspalomas you will see one of the best sunsets of Gran Canaria. Do not miss it!
Restaurants in Maspalomas beach
If you have the option of taking the car, we suggest you take a look at our article about the best restaurants in Maspalomas and the south of the island. On the contrary, if you are only looking for restaurants on the beach, that you can go walking, we make several proposals below:
- Restaurant El Senador. It is practically inside the Maspalomas beach. They have rice dishes, papas con mojo (local dish), seafood, salads, fish, pizzas, meat… everything! This place is also a “beach club” where you can spend the day, a bit expensive for its location.
- Restaurant Casa Antonio El Velero. It is also located in the same beach of Maspalomas, but it is more cheaper than El Senador.
- Bar Surf Burger. If you just fancy a sandwich or burger, this may be an option. The aioli is homemade and it is delicious. It is on the beachfront next to the access on foot.
- El Churrasco: A very famous place for its grilled meats. The location of this place is idyllic, although keep in mind that the place is quite expensive.
- Restaurant Samsara. Its cuisine is spectacular, it mixes foods from different parts of the world. It is more of an option for dinner as it is a more posh restaurant (and expensive). You must book well in advance.
Keep in mind that Maspalomas is one of the best areas to look for hotels in Gran Canaria: hotels with a spa, close to the golf course, all-inclusive, family resorts, etc. It is a tourist area located under the promotional brand of Maspalomas Costa Canaria, being one of the most important on the island of Gran Canaria. In addition, being able to enjoy a beach like this during all your vacations is priceless.
How to get to Maspalomas
To get to Maspalomas from Gran Canaria airport there are buses every 30 minutes and the lines are 66 and 90. If you come from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria the direct bus is number 30 and leaves every 20 minutes (weekends and holidays every 30 minutes). On the other hand, another option that many travelers choose is a private transfer. You can check the prices and opinions of other clients here.
Video about Maspalomas
If you want to see our video about the sunrise and sunset in Maspalomas Beach, we leave it to you below. To see all our videos, have a look at our Local Guide Gran Canaria YouTube channel and subscribe! 🙂 We have English subtitles in all of them!
Guides to Gran Canaria
Finally, we introduce you to our Gran Canaria digital guides and the best places to eat on the island. With more than 80 restaurants of local, international and Spanish food, places to have breakfast, etc that the locals frequent. Do not miss it!