As residents of Gran Canaria, we have been fortunate to enjoy the Bar Pio Pio in Tauro beach. What a nice place! The first thing you have to know is that this beach is located in the tourist area of Mogan, south of Gran Canaria. It has been closed for a season, but on Friday July 16, 2021 it has reopened. On the other hand, you should know that it is an artificial beach, that is, they have added sand from another beach, since Tauro beach was made of stones.
Tauro beach, Mogan
In addition, to arrive here it is not that complicated, but it is true that in summer and on weekends it is quite difficult. Why? Because the way is only for one car and you have both directions. And the way is from sand. In fact, we saw one van which couldn’t leave the way because of the sand. We went there one Sunday in March, but there were not enough parking places. I don’t want to imagine the mess during summer time. So that, it is better that you park on the main road and walk about 10 minutes. You will avoid to get stuck and unnecessary problems with your car.
Concerning to Tauro beach, actually it is not one of the most beautiful ones from Gran Canaria. But it is very quiet there as it doesn’t have many services around and also because it is not that accessible. I would chose Tauro beach before Puerto Rico or Amadores which are totally tourist and crowded.
Pio Pio Bar, Tauro beach
It is true that there are two bars, the Vista Mar and the Pio Pio. We have only tried Pio Pio and it was great, but it seems that the Vista mar is also nice.
First of all, we arrived at 2 p.m. (Spanish lunch time) and both restaurants had free tables. You have to know that these two places are not known at all and we are talking about March… Anyway, the food and the service where very nice. What we ordered was served very quickly, but the menu is not that wide. The most important thing is that what we ordered was yummy. We recommend you the fried octopus and the tuna.
If we had to say something negative about Pio Pio is that they do not have home made desserts, only ice-creams, but it is fine 🙂
Finally, as we are telling you, this beach was full of stones. Here you have a picture from the side which they left as it was. At the background you can see the tourist resorts at El Cura beach.
- If you can, go there during the week and not on weekends. You will enjoy much more and even you can try to get there with your car.
- If you try to visit Tauro Beach on Saturday or Sunday, we recommend you to leave the car at the main road and walk a bit. If no, you will always remember our advice… 🙂
- Do not bring food, there are two great bars with sea view and fresh food waiting for you. Very good price.
- Tauro beach is not accessible at all, it doesn’t have showers, public toilets, etc. However, the Pio Pio bar has toilets. Very nice and clean by the way.
Definitely, we hope you enjoy it as much as we and that our advices are useful for you!!!!
Spanish lesson: meanings from Pio Pio
- Pio pio is the voice from the birds. The tweet.
- They are also the words which the fans from Las Palmas football team mention to encourage the team “PIO PIO“. As the football team usually wears yellow uniform, they tie it to the Canary birds which are also the same color.
- The U.D. Las Palmas soccer team has also a pet. It is a Canary named “Pio pio”
If you want to discover more places like this, you can not miss our Gran Canaria travel guides!