In this post we will tell you a bit about Arucas village, the third biggest town in Gran Canaria. Arucas is located in the northern part from the island, approximately 15 minutes drive from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. This city is surrounded by banana trees and has a beautiful old town. Below we will explain you what to do in Arucas!
Things to do in Arucas village
1. San Juan Bautista parish
One of the most characteristic icons from Gran Canaria is situated in Arucas. It is the parish Church named San Juan Bautista, though the locals usually call it by mistake the Arucas Cathedral. This church is neogothic style and it was started to be built in 1909 and finished officially in 1977. They say that it was built by hand, with any type of mechanic or technologic help. If you are interested in visiting it, you can do it from 1st January to 31st December from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm and 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
The church has at its feet a wide square with a charming terrace with a very nice view from the church. It is the San Juan square.
2. Walk around its pedestrian streets
A walk through its old town will take you to its pedestrian streets full of cafés and small shops.
As you may check in the pictures, the old town has its charm despite of the cloudy days which are so usual in the north. If we walk a bit around we will reach the town hall. This one also has a nice square in the front, though it is quite smaller than the San Juan one.
3. The Arucas park
Very near from the town hall we have a park with gardens and swings for the children. Here you can appreciate some nice sterlitzias and the gorgeous tree named Drago.
These trees are typical from the Canary Islands. The age from the dragos could be known because of its ramifications. This plant doesn’t have growth rings as most of the trees.
4. Heredad from Firgas and Arucas
Just next to the park we will find the emblematic building which also started to be built in 1909: the water state from Firgas y Arucas (Heredad de Agua in Spanish). This water state was established by the water owners from the area. In this kind of buildings they usually make decisions concerning the water exploitation between the local irrigators.
5. Other tourist visits in Arucas village
If you have time, you can also visit some more places in Arucas.
✔ Rum factory Arehucas. This rum is very well known in the Canary Islands and also in the Iberian peninsula.
✔ The gardens Jardines de la Marquesa de Arucas. It is more a place for events due to its environment, but the 5.000 square meters of gardens from the five continents will wonder you.
6. Places to to eat in Arucas village
We suggest you mainly two places:
- Restaurant De Enyesque Arucas: Enyesque means tapa in the Canary Islands, so that this is a pecking restaurant located in the city center. They combine the traditional food with the new. They close Tuesday for dinner and Wednesdays the whole day. Telephone: +34928623159
- Restaurant Casa Brito: Service and products from first quality and therefore high prices. Its speciality is the grilled meat in a firewood oven. But we can say they offer all kind of food, even fish. To get here from the old town is about 5 minutes drive or 25 minutes walk. They close on Sundays night and Monday and Tuesday all day long. Telephone: +34928622323
8. Rural houses in Arucas
Arucas has a wide offer of rural houses and holiday homes. Have a look at all the options that you have around.
We hope you like to know new places and that this post is useful for your visit to Gran Canaria!